Sunday, September 23, 2007

Graphics card death

The graphics card on my main computer died this morning. It's lasted me a few years. Unfortunately it had a fan on it that from time to time make noises. I think it finally quit working. So I need to buy a new card. Hopefully much less than the $250 I spend on the old one.

This time around I'm looking for a under $100 graphics card that can handle huge resolutions in full color and has no fan. That is supported by linux too. That takes little power though if it doesn't have a fan it probably takes little power already. I don't play computer games so I don't need anything fancy.

I'll start by looking at tom's hardware reviews.

There's really not much to say about the Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB except that it's incredibly powerful for the price.

Compared to its 8800 GTX and 8800 GTS 640MB brethren, the only notable performance difference appears at resolutions 1600x1200 and above. This does not mean that the 8800 GTS 320MB can't handle some 1920x1200 gaming mind you, the GTX will just be faster.

For $280, there's no better videocard you can put in your machine, period.


Yikes. $280 and a fan. This is from his low cost build it yourself article. Must be a low cost gamer rig or something.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/17/sbm_low_cost_system/page5.html#video_card_evga_geforce_8800_gts_320mb



This one looks much better and it's only $85!:
We chose Gigabyte's Radeon HD 2600 Pro. It has 256-MB GDDR2 memory running at 800 MHz, a 600-MHz chip clock speed and dual-DVI interfaces. You can always convert DVI interfaces to attach an analog S-Sub display, but you will be thankful to get two DVI ports if you ever want to hook up two TFT displays. Lastly, this graphics card requires little idle power and is passively cooled, which is important if you want the system to be quiet and energy efficient. Make sure your case is properly ventilated to ensure stable operation. If you cannot or if you live in a really hot environment, we recommend investing in a graphics card that has a fan.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/10/the_500_gaming_machine_2007_edition/page4.html

I see it advertised on google for about $50 more than expected and it has a big hunking fan. What's going on?

Finally found it at newegg. It is not compatible with my system. Grrr. I guess this is going to be harder than I expected. I need an older card...

No comments: