Sunday, November 4, 2007

In search of the perfect workstation/server

So I'm pretty much over RAID. Now I'm thinking bootable thumb and or dvd drives and RAM disks with no hard drives in the picture at all. That way you are safe from viruses.

I'm thinking 8GBs is adequate for the OS and apps. Certainly a 16GB thumb drive is adequate. MBs now support 64GBs of ram. Fill up a 64GB unit with 32GBs of ram for $130*16=$2000.

Get a fast graphics card for $800 and a 1920x1200 LCD screen.

A symmetric 20 or 30Mb internet connection.

The system would rock!

Except the noise from the fans. Power, CPU, and grapic fans. I can get away without a graphics fan if I don't play games. Which I don't. The power fans are almost totally noiseless. So then it comes down to the CPU fans. I'd best start paying attention to them.

No comments: