Tuesday, October 23, 2007

SSD Drives again

This anandtech article, http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3133, got me thinking again.

Wouldn't it be great to have a raid 6 set up using SSDs? I think I'll go this route if I need a quiet workstation.

The normal problem with a large raid array is that each disk must move it's heads into place. This requires a huge delay. Once there it can stream the data very quickly. Once there. With SSD there would be almost no latency. It would be immediate 800MB/s streaming. Well, given enough disks. Since SSD disks are slow you'd probably need 16 of them to give 800MB/s streaming. Maybe even 24. But 2.5 inch disks are so small, require little or no power, and are so totally silent, it might be an option even in a single tower. Say 2x12, 3x8, or 4x6. Something must be doable.

Hmmm, once again it might be better to use thumb drives rather than SSDs.

Maybe I'm once again off target. I should be thinking about large ram disks that get preloaded with the OS and all relevant files. These files should then get written back to the disk as background tasks.

I know you can buy server boards that hold 32GBs. I wonder if any hold even more RAM?

No comments: