Friday, July 13, 2007

Free AIX 6?

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/21854.wss

No, unfortunately not. Yet. A huge step in the right direction though. This is something similar to M$ releasing beta software for people to test with. Both parties get something out of it. Still it might be great for developers to use. Then they could test their software on it to work out all their bugs. I remember I used to use M$ to test out all my AIX code. I'd also do the same for HPUX environments. That way I could use the excellent programmer tools found on the PC such as PC Lint without worrying about whether the final platform would have all the right tools. Of course not all code could be tested since some of it was almost always unique to the hardware and OS but a huge chunk of it could be.

I wonder if this version 6 of AIX runs on PC hardware? Sure hope it does.

No comments: