Monday, July 2, 2007

Ocean swimming

This evening I went swimming in the ocean without a hood for the first time in years. I haven't been swimming much. With Liz so fast and swimming up north I just haven't had the opportunity. I'm fed up with being so wimpy. I jumped in without a wetsuit, just shorts and goggles, by myself, and took an hour long swim. The swells were glassy and the sea weed extensive but I didn't let that bother me.

I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I think I'm ok despite my ears and nose being water clogged. I also swallowed some water a few times in the cove swimming out. Before adjusting to not having a cap on. And I felt queasy before swimming and heaved a little. The stress on my arms was a bit much. I didn't think I could take it. Then I started breathing every fourth stroke and that allowed me to push hard. When I wasn't adjusting my goggles. I'm going to work my way across the bay and along the buoys to the pier and back this month. That way I won't be too far away from shore if something happens while I'm by myself.

Besides, I'm scared of the deep ocean. When the shelf drops off everything changes dramatically. The current is different, the ocean sounds different, the water temperature changes, and I get nervous. I guess I'm fine in 30' water but 6000' foot water gets to me.

No comments: