Sunday, July 8, 2007

Wikipedia

I had liked the idea of wikipedia. Sure I've seen it winning comparisons versus paid for encyclopedias. And I've seen the press about professors banning quotations from it. And I've seen the press talk about how great it is too. I've seen many experts point out examples, current examples, of how bad the information really is because it's based on a democratic system. Seeing the correct information replaced with popular myths is sobering. However if it doesn't happen often then it's like any tool. You must use it appropriately. Little did I realize just how bad it was until I wrote an article on something I'm an expert in. I soon discovered people who don't know anything are in charge of editing your posts. Furthermore they are only concerned with eye-candy. Don't give details or it becomes something not suitable for the wiki. And don't give numbers or else they become worried it is code to hack their site.

Needless to say I will be using this blog from now on. Screw the idiots who control the wikipedia.

No comments: